Our clinic offers preventive procedures to our patients, such as pit and fissure sealing, which consists in the protection of spaces particularly susceptible to dental caries using special resins. Our offer also includes tooth varnishing with fluorine-based preparations, which strengthen dental enamel and make it less susceptible to caries.(see -> prevention)
Prevention starts much earlier, almost right after birth.
In order to prevent the development of dental caries in our children, we need to remember that children:
- should not be fed in their sleep,
- should not be given liquids at night (especially liquids containing sugar, i.e. puree juices)
- should not be put to sleep with a bottle.
This leads to the development of baby bottle caries. The source of this type of caries are sweet glutinous foods (baby cereal, juices, sweetened milk), which cling to the surface of teeth. Caries bacteria convert sugars found in these foods into acids. Teeth exposed to an acidic environment for a longer time (the entire night) undergo demineralization. The night-time drop in saliva production, which has antacid properties, significantly increases the risk of caries development.
Baby bottle caries is a particularly aggressive type of caries.
In a short period of time it can lead to a complete damage of large surfaces of milk teeth. Therefore, the following rules should be observed:
- introduce spoon feeding and cup drinking as soon as possible,
- avoid sweets (or alternatively serve them once a week),
- parents should avoid licking dummies and spoons (superinfection with caries bacteria),
- avoid kissing the baby on the lips (superinfection with caries bacteria),
- introduce coarse-grained products to the diet and avoid pulpy food,
- take care of an infant’s oral hygiene from birth (in infants before teeth eruption – wipe infant’s oral cavity with a camomile infused gauze wrapped around your finger after each natural and artificial meal, at least twice a day),
- in infants after teeth eruption – removing dental plaque with the use of a silicone finger toothbrush. It is also recommended to use it to massage the infant’s gums in areas where the teeth have not yet erupted, as a support in the process of teething,
- introduce the habit of tooth brushing to children as soon as possible,
- introduce the technique of rinsing the oral cavity with an antibacterial mouthwash and using additional aids, such as dental floss,
- make sure brushing lasts at least 3 minutes.